Who we are
From its foundation in 1862, promoting maritime safety has been the core commitment of the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS).
Today, we strive to be the most efficient provider of marine and offshore classification services. We are achieving that goal through the innovative thinking, enthusiasm and professionalism of our staff.
At ABS, setting standards of excellence in marine and offshore classification is more than a motto – it is the way we conduct business.
What we do
Setting Standards of Excellence
The responsibility of the classification society is to verify that marine vessels and offshore structures comply with Rules that the society has established for design, construction and periodic survey.
The classification process includes:
- the development of standards, known as Rules
- technical plan review and design analysis
- surveys during construction
- source inspection of materials, equipment and machinery
- acceptance by the Classification Committee
- subsequent periodic surveys for maintenance of class
- survey of damage, repairs and modifications
Offering Practical Solutions
ABS recognizes that the classification world is changing with more emphasis on complex structures, life cycle management, unified standards and safety equivalencies.
At ABS, we are dedicated to providing leadership in the development of new technologies intended to improve the safety standards for the marine and offshore industries.